Lincolnwood Jewish Congregation, which merged with A.G. Beth Israel eight or nine years ago, was founded in 1958 at a time when the Chicago Orthodox leadership condoned the formation of “traditional” synagogues in order to keep young families moving into the northside of Chicago, Skokie, and Lincolnwood. Rabbi Joel Lehrfield, a graduate of the Skokie Yeshiva, lead the congregation for the first 58 years.
The Board determined that a permanent change like this required a vote of the entire membership. On October 31, the final vote was tallied and with 80% of the membership voting, the measure to put up a permanent mechitzah was approved.
Lincolnwood Jewish Congregation A.G. Beth Israel has a beautiful building, a warm and welcoming member base and some of the best property values in the area. We look forward to growing as we take our place among the other fine Orthodox institutions in Lincolnwood, Skokie, West Rogers Park, and Peterson Park.