To celebrate Tu B’Shvat, the birthday of the trees, all grades at Hillel Torah enjoyed participating in a variety of engaging activities, projects, a beautiful performance, and even a celebrity meet-and-greet! Thank you to our amazing Judaics team for making this holiday so wonderful for our students!
- The day kicked off with 7th and 8th grade relay races competing against teams of etz (tree), shorashim (roots) and peirot (fruit).
- Grades 2 and 6-8 were treated to a visit from pro-basketball player Tal Brody, who was formerly drafted into the NBA but chose to play basketball for Israel instead. Tal shared his Maccabi Tel Aviv experience with the students and emphasized the importance of learning the Hebrew language, especially as an American-born citizen himself.
- Kindergarteners enjoyed a tasty Tu B’Shvat seder including an assortment of the shivat haminim!
- The 4th grade Tu B’Shvat presentation (for grades 1-5) featured songs and dances weaving in midrashim about the similarity of a human being and tree, and the connection of the holiday to Eretz Yisrael.
- Grades 3-6 participated in an exciting round-robin, tree-related activities. From an orange-juice-squeezing competition to grass-head making and wired-tree crafting, the students had a great time getting into the Tu B’Shvat spirit. They also learned about the importance and lack of water in Israel, and played a game about locations in Israel using a huge Israeli map spread out on the auditorium floor.